A small Trout (500g) will require approx. 1 hour in smoker on a low temperature (150°C). If time allows, smoke trout for longer to enhance flavour but avoid allowing it to dry out. Increase/decrease the smoking time according to the size of the fish. Reduce heat within the smoker by opening the door for a few minutes. Smoked trout can be used in a variety of ways:
• Eat them warm from the smoker for a tasty, ‘no added fat’ meal.
• Use the flesh as you would with smoked salmon.
• Top crackers with flakes of trout flesh then drizzle with mayonnaise.
• Combine the flesh with cream cheese to make your own smoked trout pate.
• Add smoked trout to your favourite quiche recipe or stir it through a lemony risotto.